VOLUME FOUR, WEEK FOUR
The Friday Pick Six is an original SCSD! game where six people make six sports predictions for six weeks. Along with their picks, they're allowed and encouraged to submit a 'sound-off' on any topic, sports or otherwise. When it's all done, the winner earns great honor among the people, while the two losers are exiled in shame and the three middle finishers go to purgatory, with the chance rescue their good name up to three times. To learn more about the rules, and about the current contestants, read below:
Here's how it looks:
The Last Chance Gals (3rd attempt, win or bust): Swetha & Sabreena
Purgatory Part 1: Marc, Monty
Newcomers: Craig & Tim, Tim B., John
-Volume Four Intros
THE HALL OF ANGELS: OLD CHAMPIONS
3. Patrick and Dylan
1. Monty - 9
2. John - 8
2. Tim B. - 8
4. Swetha & Sabreena - 7
4. Marc - 7
6. Craig & Tim - 5
Week Three was WILD, as Monty shook off his early fatigue and busted out with 8 points, correctly guessing that there would be 6 sweeps in baseball. John and Marc also acquitted themselves nicely, and the three lowest in the standings are now the three leaders. It was a week of tragedy for Swetha & Sabreena, who only managed 1 point and are now in last place in their final Pick Six. Can they begin the comeback this week, or is it lights out for the ladies?
Time for this week's docket:
1. Heat-Mavs, GAME 6. Who wins?
2. Friday night: Bruins-Canucks!
3. Pick two weekend baseball series' (Fri-Sat-Sun) and tell me who wins. Get both: 2 points. Split: 0 points. Lose both: -2 points. Go 6-0 on games (as in, both are sweeps): 5 points.
4. UNC-Stanford in the CWS: 3-game set, who wins?
5. How many innings will Ivan SuperNova pitch Friday?
6. Who will get the most points in Week 6 of all the other Pick 6 players? You can't pick yourself.
We start with our new leader, the man who claims not to be British:
Monty has unfortunately not submitted picks this week, and will have to take a big 0. I blame myself- I sent the docket late, and that can't have helped.
No time for screwing around this week...to the picks!
1. Miami is warm this time of year: feel the HEAT
2. ? Bruins I guess. I watched the whole overtime to game 2. I admit it was an exciting period. I can officially handle 12 seconds of hockey if it involves a game winning goal.
3. Atlanta wins on the road and Philly at home
4. Good going shane, make people root for the Heels!
5. I had to google to find out who this was. I’m guessing a decent outing with 5.1 innings
6. Well...my unofficial count has Monty in the lead with 9 points with me pulling into a tie for 2nd with 8...since he doesn’t like hockey either, and because his name sounds like a funny Brit, I’m going with Monty the Python
3. Phillies and Giants
5. I have no idea who this is. 6.
1. Series is going seven. Heat
2. Boston totes overconfident, ‘Nucks win it, perhaps big. This is like ’94, folks: Game 7s across the board. ‘Cept we’ll have a World Series, too.
3. That the Red Sox and Yankees are still playing throws a wrench into two of my secondary picks. I mean, everyone’s gonna take the Phillies over the Cubs, obvs. I’ll go with the Braves over the ‘Stros as well, as vengeance for Chris Burke.
4. Home-field. Carolina sinks the Cardinal's diamond...more so. I would sigh, but I don’t much like Stanford either.
5. 5 2/3. He will be replaced by Joba, oh, my bad.
6. Presented without commentary, Swetha and Sabreena.
1. Game 6 goes to the Mavs. Lebron James is a fucking douchebag and I'd rather get punched in the face than root for him to win anything...and I'm not joking. Anyone that loves them self that much deserves a bus to the nuts, not a championship. The people in the Gomorrah-esque coke-funnel known as Miami care more about the umbrella positioning in their mojito than they do basketball - so fuck them too.
2. Bruins win. I'm in full superstition mode right now so my commentary here is a bit bridled. I will however leave you video evidence showing what happens when arrogant Canadian based hockey teams try to get physical. NHL hockey teams often take on the persona of the city they play in. Montreal is the most European of North American cities, and their hockey team is a perfect reflection of this French, diving, pussy trapeze artist mentality. Vancouver - don't expect to win the Stanley Cup when you take on the attitude of a tweed-sweater wearing beatnik sitting in the corner of a solar-powered coffee shop flicking at an iphone oblivious to the world around you. Take your greenman costumes and put them to use at an environmental rally. Your blind faith in the global warming hoax is better served there than your blind faith in the regular season Canuck stat sheet. Go Bruins.
3. Rays and Red Sox.
4. Truth be told, I rarely watch college baseball. In fact, I've seen more American Legion and Cape League games than college games. And I think a big part of that has to do with the fact that they still use metal/composite bats. I simply hate that. So while it may be "fun" to see 12 homers a game and scores like 24-17 on the reg, I think the college game is lacking. Plus, there were some real douches on the baseball team when I was in college. Lax players generally seem to get a bad rap for being punks, but the baseball guys were worse. That being said, we're going with UNC over Stanford in this series.
5. Thank you for including this question, it allows us to take gratuitous pot-shots at the Yanks. First off, that was a very enjoyable series at Yankee Stadium. Besides being swept, the Yanks skipper made an ass of himself by trying to "protect" his young pitcher after Ortiz dropped a bomb and flipped his bat in Game 1. Sox are 6-0 at Yankee Stadium this year and the seats behind home plate are half-empty every game. Secondly, I'm convinced that A.J. Burnett is completely insane. After his most recent meltdown it was entirely conceivable that he went on a murder spree in the Bronx right after the game ended. Yet we digress...seeing that Nova has only pitched 7+ innings once in his last 10 starts, I don't see him getting there. We predict he lasts 6 1/3 after giving up 4 runs. Yanks lose to the Indians.
6. The most difficult question to date. Gotta go with the gut on this one, and we'll select Tim B., a/k/a Little Whiny Tim. He just seems like the kind of guy who scours the web on a friday night, looking for inside info on his pick 6 selections.
Not really a banner week for us last time around. We’d like to think it’s because we threw a little more effort into the links than the picks, and that's not going to happen again.
1. No way Miami goes down three times in a row. Besides, this series deserves a Game 7, no matter how much we want Dallas to win. MIAMI.
2. Seems like Boston has gained control of this series, but we really have no idea. Maybe home ice means something now? CANUCKS.
3. The Phils have the dream team going (sorry, Hamels) and the Giants have a pretty good rotation this weekend, too. PHILADELPHIA AND SAN FRANCISCO.
4. Let’s be honest, we’re not going to put a whole lot of effort into college baseball. We are from Duke, after all. NORTH CAROLINA.
5. The Indians are good -- can’t imagine this is going to be a successful outing for SuperNova. 5.1 INNINGS.
6. Even if we could pick ourselves, that would probably be a bad idea. Ideally, we want the person in last place to get the most points. Unfortunately, not only is this unlikely, but we’re not entirely sure how the scoring broke down for the baseball sweeps last week, so it’s unclear who sits in last place. We’ll just choose the other Dukie in this group. TIM B.