Thursday, November 12, 2009

Surfing the Crazy Wave of Life

Before we get into the meat of today's post, it's time for another installment of...

Answering Fan Mail.


Today's fan mail comes from faithful reader "Mercy Doe." Mercy writes:

Hello
good day to you I hope this mail will reach you in good condition. My name is mercy I will like to have a good relationship with you also like to know you more Remeber that distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life. I am waiting 4 you
Thanks and God bless you
Yours in love,
Mercy


Thanks for writing, Mercy! Glad you liked the blog. I didn't catch where you were from, but boy, what a World Series, huh? Nice to see the Yankees back on top...unless you're a Boston fan, in which case WHO LET YOU IN?? LOL! Just kidding, Mercy, all folks are welcome here at Seth Curry Saves Duke! I agree with you that distance and 'colour' (British?) does not matter as much as love, and I also would like to have a good relationship with you. I don't quite understand what you mean when you say you're waiting '4' me, but I'll take it as an indication that you're excited for today's entry. In any case, thanks for your continued support, and please send me nude photos of yourself holding a copy of today's newspaper (so I know you're real) and covered from the knees down in yellow mustard (personal). Have a nice day!

Fan Mail Over.


To be serious for a moment, I'm trying to decide if "Mercy Doe" is a hot name for a female. I'm leaning toward no, I think, but that's not 100%. I know 'doe' is supposed to be evocative of an innocent deer, but the sound of the word makes me think of either 'D'oh!', like Homer Simpson, or 'dough,' like a fat little dough boy. But that leads me to wonder...what is the hottest possible female name? Here's a definitive top ten list:

10. Harmony Legkick
9. Jacqueline Redeyes
8. Avaricious Badlady
7. Fronttooth Swimteam
6. Magglio Ordonez
5. Nottingham Peachtree
4. Friendship Phlebotomy
3. Dunsinane Maverningham
2. Lipstick Genevieve
1. Heartlove Cryingnight

What the fuck am I even talking about at this point...I don't know. I don't know. Anyway, let's take a step back from the brink of insanity and touch base with some good things going on in the world of sports. The following dose of optimism is meant to offset tomorrow's post, which will be an oppressively pessimistic Duke basketball preview.

1) Florida and Alabama will have a re-match in the SEC championship this year. Regular readers will remember that I'm a man without a team in the world of college football, so I try to enjoy good match-ups and follow whichever teams are most exciting in a given year. (By the way, the UConn experiment didn't quite pan out...this year.) In 2009, I'm a Bama man. I love their style of play, which basically consists of scoring in the clutch and completely shutting opponents down with defense. Last year's SEC title game was a classic, and Alabama's losing effort was pretty heroic. This year, despite an offense that still isn't quite top rate, I think they go over the top. Definitely keep in mind that this prediction is heavily swayed by my anti-Tebow stance, but I still say it'll be a classic Tide win. The winner of the game will definitely play in the national title game, even if one or both happens to lose in the interim. Exciting stuff.

2) TCU - Utah this weekend. Both teams are undefeated in conference (Mountain West), and TCU is ranked 4th with a legitimate shot to make the national title game. If they win out, they just need Texas to lose; Alabama and Florida will take care of each other, and the only other undefeated teams are Cincinnati and Boise St. The Bearcats are ranked 5th, nipping at TCU's heels, but they don't have the benefit of a Big East title game to vault them up in the standings. Boise St. is 6th, but far enough back that they shouldn't overtake anyone by year's end. Can you imagine the TCU Horned Frogs in a national title game? That would be amazing. Still, Texas losing is a big what-if...the rest of their schedule (Kansas, Baylor, A&M) is cupcake, and then they'll meet someone unimpressive like Kansas St. or Nebraska in the big 12 title game. But stranger things have happened...go TCU!

3) The Knicks are an impressive 1-8 to start the season! Oh wait, that's not positive.

4) College basketball is starting!! Last night my girlfriend made me watch 'Grey's Anatomy.' Because it was her birthday, I lasted through the acute pain for about twenty minutes. I guess it's a hospital show. I don't know. I hated it. I need weekday sports, world. Need it bad. Next Tuesday, ESPN is doing the thing where they show college basketball all day, starting at like 10am. I'm seriously considering taking the day off to indulge. If that's sad, then paint my face with clown makeup and a single tear, baby.

Hey, how about a new feature?

THE HOT PICK OF THE WEEKEND:

In a stunning result that has absolutely no effect on the national title race, South Carolina upsets Florida at home, 20-18.

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment