Friday, March 5, 2010

Morning: Osssss-carrrrrssss!

I think you can guess the inflection on that word without me explaining.

You all know me as a dude of sports, but I dig the hell out of movies as well. I have my problems with the Oscars, but that's a soap box that's wobbly from too many folks standing on it. Also, the movies I think are best are usually not even nominated, so it's not like I'm disappointed on Oscar night. I'm disappointed on nomination day, but by the big show, I've forgotten all about it and can just kick back and enjoy the theatrics. So, for all of today's posts, I'll be interspersing some Oscar thoughts with the sports stuff.

Slow night yesterday, with only a couple college bball games (Pitt and Michigan State escaped at home over weaker conference teams, interesting occurences if you're already thinking about your bracket), so I'll look ahead to the weekend. First and foremost, on Saturday at 9pm:



THE GREATEST RIVALRY IN COLLEGE HOOPS!





Oops, that was weird. Why did a cocky Joe Biden picture come up? I'm trying to find a Duke-UNC themed thing, because they play at 9 tomorrow. I thought I posted it the right way...hold on a second, let's try this again...




THE GREATEST RIVALRY IN COLLEGE HOOPS!





What the hell! Something is seriously screwed up here. Biden's not even from the Carolina area. There's no relevance. Come on Blogger, I just want a picture that has something to do with the game. Anything. I'm talking about...



THE GREATEST RIVALRY IN COLLEGE HOOPS!






Okay, better! Much better. A crappy logo of a smiling Blue Devil is a step in the right direction, even if it's not that familiar and may not even be from Duke, and totally ignores the rivalry theme. But you're on the right track. Now, let's really do this. Come on Blogger...knock my socks off. Show us the perfect picture to symbolize the Carolina-Duke clash. You know what I'm getting at...



THE GREATEST RIVALRY IN COLLEGE HOOPS!






FUCK. FUCK. FUCK. I HAVE OVER TWO HUNDRED POSTS, AND YOU TREAT ME THIS WAY? SCREW YOU, I'M DONE! I'M JUST DONE.


Oscar thought #1: why is Avatar nominated for best film? It's visually impressive and all that, but at the end of the day it's a trite big budget thing, right? I mean, would they nominate Spiderman? Even last year's Batman, which was way more artistic than Avatar, wasn't nominated. I don't get it. I enjoyed it, but it's a popcorn flick. This wouldn't be such a big deal to me, by the way, if it was just thrown in among the ten. But people are saying either Avatar or The Hurt Locker will win...baffling.

Oscar thought #2: My favorite movie this year, a designation which guarantees that it won't be nominated, was The Messenger. If you have a chance to see it, do. Woody Harrelson was great, and Ben Foster was even better. The script is amazing, the direction is perfect, there are multiple moments where you'll tear up, and more when you'll laugh your ass off. I've never been a soldier, but I can still detect human truth, and this was a masterpiece.

More sports and oscar thoughts coming later today.

1 comment: