Thursday, March 11, 2010

Time to Panic in Syracuse

(SCSD now has multiple daily posts. Don't miss the others below.)

Sound the alarms in upstate New York, and not because Syracuse just fell to Georgetown in the quarterfinals of the Big East. As we all know, losing in your conference tournament is pretty far from a death knell. But late in the game, after a hard foul on Greg Monroe, Arinze Onuaku came down awkwardly on his right knee. He was wincing and rolling on the ground, and had to be helped off the floor by three medical staffers.

There hasn't been a report yet, and I'm certainly not a doctor, but judging by his reaction and his complete inability to walk, I'm guessing he's out for the tournament. And that, my orange friends, is a friggin' disaster.


Earlier this week, I wrote the following:

"Here's my great advice for all you NCAA bracket hounds. Syracuse won't be just a local favorite; they'll be a national doll. But if you've grown up rooting for the Orange like me, you understand that the only thing predictable about a postseason Jim Boeheim team is their unpredictability. If you want to get a jump on the competition, pick the Orange to lose in the sweet 16."

Well, I was right about them being vulnerable; their offense looked like hell today, and they were already down big when Onuaku got hurt. But they won't be a national favorite anymore. Two losses to end the season, plus the injury situation, guarantees that.

In fact, I'm starting to doubt whether they'll even get a #1 seed. What if Purdue, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas State, and West Virginia all win their conference tournaments? Don't they all, along with Kansas, have more of a claim to the #1 seed? Is Syracuse inspiring any confidence that they'll have what it takes to make the Final Four?

Relevant questions. Sucks to be them right now.

Quick other news:

*Tiger is back in two weeks! Which means he'll play at the Masters!!! Yesssssss.

*So far, Joba Chamberlain stinks. Noooooo.

Here's the last of the conference predictions, Big Ten style. I've got Michigan State surging on a little late momentum. Enjoy the games tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Duke. Tiger. The Yankees. How do you have such a knack for picking the winners? Way to go out on a limb with your sports allegiances. Now that the Patriots suck, who's your NFL team? Are you a Spurs or Lakers fan? What's it like to have everyone hate you everywhere you go?Speaking of which, where are you from anyway? It must be nice to cherry-pick sports franchises. Are you the type of shitty fan that pulls out "your team"'s gear only when they win? I was planning on taking digital shits on your blog for the month of March, but I think I'll get cozy and make myself a regular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you weren't so damn good at making sports predictions...


    Earlier this week, I wrote the following:

    "Here's my great advice for all you NCAA bracket hounds. Syracuse won't be just a local favorite; they'll be a national doll. But if you've grown up rooting for the Orange like me, you understand that the only thing predictable about a postseason Jim Boeheim team is their unpredictability. If you want to get a jump on the competition, pick the Orange to lose in the sweet 16."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Born in upstate New York. Yankees/Giants/Knicks/Rangers fan since birth. Went to school at Duke. And I want Tiger for the drama and so golf is exciting again, not because I'm a die-hard Tiger fan. Biatch.

    -S

    PS welcome to the blog.

    ReplyDelete